Monday, January 07, 2008

To Bee or Not to Bee ...

That is the grammatically challenged statement, not to mention lame pun ...

I had another exciting day today as I survived a close brush with a swarm of killer bees on my way home from work today. Well, that is, if you replace "survived a close brush with" with "was directed away from the bees at a distance by a police officer" and replace "killer bees" with "bees that could have been life threatening if they had simultaneously stung someone who was highly allergic to bee stings". Which I'm not, but that's neither here nor there.

Speaking of being neither here nor there, how did that swarm of bees find themselves at the corner of Pitt and Goulburn streets? I can't imagine that they had just returned from a shopping expedition at World Square. But I am still perplexed. All those buzzing bees, where did they all come from? All those buzzing bees, where do they all belong? Mental note: don't mention the lame pun you have your head about the "Beetles".

I guess the incident also made me think about the police officers diverting pedestrians away from the bees. I wonder how they much have felt drawing the short straw that placed them on "bee patrol"? While other policemen and women were off fighting crime, these officers had to monitor the movement of these bees. And what would have happened if these barnstorming bees had broken through the barrier of the boys in blue and gone berserk? Something tells me pepper spray may not have done the trick ...

No comments: