Thursday, January 17, 2008

Kierkegaard on the Movement of Faith

I can see then that it requires strength and energy and freedom of spirit to make the infinite movement of resignation; I can also see that it can be done. The next step dumbfounds me, my brain reels; for having made the movement of resignation, now on the strength of the absurd to get everything, to get one's desire, whole, in full, that requires more than human powers, it is a marvel. But at least I can see this, that the young girl's conviction is mere frivolity compared with a faith that is unshakeable even when it sees the impossibility. Whenever I want to make this movement I turn giddy, at the same moment I admire it absolutely and yet in that same instant an immense anxiety seizes my soul, for what is it to test God? And yet this is the movement of faith and remains that, however much philosophy, in order to confuse concepts, will have us suppose that it has faith, however much theology wants to sell it at a bargain price.

- Søren Kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Im from Melbourne.
Please find some references which point out that Real Faith begins on the other side of Fear and Trembling.

1. www.easydeathbook.com
2. www.dabase.org/dualsens.htm
3. www.adidam.org/death_and_dying/index.html
4. www.realgod.org