Sunday, January 27, 2008

Good Luck Mariners

If you've only met me in the last few years, you may not know that I originally hail from the Central Coast. Because of this connection, I'll be supporting the Central Coast Mariners in this A-League final series. Not that I hold any special sense of attachment for the place - I really don't. Apart from being one of the teen pregnancies capitals of Australia, the Central Coast doesn't have much going for it. Indeed, a friend of mine who is also from the Central Coast supports Sydney FC specifically for the reason that he wants to sever any kind of link that might speak of his roots and so incriminate him. So why do I support them, notwithstanding the fact that my identity is much more closely aligned with Sydney these days? Well, quite probably because the Central Coast have the opportunity to put their name on the map for a reason other than their potty mouthed fishermen. It would be great for the Central Coast to have something to be proud of.

Tonight they play the Newcastle Jets in the first of their two leg major semi-final away from home. The last time the two teams played, the Jets came away with the points with a 2-1 victory in Gosford. However, if the Mariners can win this contest, they will go straight through to the grand final. I'm not sure what to expect as yet, since the Mariners form has been patchy at best. Let's just hope that John Aloisi can strike the ball sweetly, and strike the ball straight.

No comments: